Friday, January 22, 2010

Calling Ferdinand

My childhood story...

I was the shortest in my class and hated standing in front almost every year except 8th standard. I had picked up a bit of pace that year than one of the kid in the class. It didn't happen on its own; I had worked hard that winter - stretched till my tendons ached and tested my ligaments. I even split my grandpa's apple tree in the courtyard by swinging up and high - I nearly broke my back in the process.

I was proud of my efforts until the monsoon season that year when the little boy in front sprung up mysteriously and forced me to be the first in morning assembly queue (again). I hardly got view from the back since then.

Today, I look back and enjoy those moments - the line used to start from where I used to stand (a la Amitabh Bachan in Kalia).

Disadvantages of being the shortest in the class:

- You get called names... real nasty ones
- You are easy prey of the class bullies
- You are made to sit on the front bench (and miss the fun)
- You the first one in assembly queue (and you again miss the fun)
- You have to run errands for the senior boys etc.


Then, I had a phobia. Phobia of the city kids - I used to break into sweat and my mouth would dry each time I was introduced to the city bred kids by my parents. I literally grew up holding my mom's rezta. And, over it I was confused. Confused with thousands of questions which nobody could answer.

Still, those were the best days of my life. I miss them.

I wish we all could be FERDINAND - the bull who used to sit under the cork tree and smell the flowers and was happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading it, write on...

Unknown said...

lol... good one...